Thursday 8 December 2011

Upgrade to Vortexbox 2.0

Last week I updated my Vortexbox to the new Version (2.0). But I had some troubles.

At first I tried the direct update from fedora 14 to fedora 16 according to the tutorial. I updated to Logitech Media Server (LMS) 7.7.0, cleaned up the /boot directory, but after downloading the preupgrade file for fedora 16 there was still
not enough space on /boot although the partition size was 485 MB.

As I allready made a backup of my music library I decided to install VB 2.0 completely new from CD. This worked fine and only took 15-20 minutes. But after the first time booting the LMS 7.7.0 wasn't installed. So I had to install it manually.

 
yum clean
yum update
yum reinstall logitechmediaserver


Now everything seemed to work fine until I imported my music collection. LMS 7.7.0 has a problem with pictures stored in some mp3 tags. After some research in the VB forum I found a solution that seems to work up to now. It's the update to LMS 7.7.1 rc1. The official update to 7.1.1 should be available next week when I remember correctly.

Update (11. december 2011): After a restart of the VB I have the same problem as before upgrading to RC1.

I've found a solution now that works for me. After the VB booted, I have to stop vortexbox-player and Logitech media server (service still called squeezeboxserver). After that, start LMS again and vortexbox-player.

 
service vortexbox-player stop
service squeezeboxserver stop


service squeezeboxserver start 
service vortexbox-player start 


No comments:

Post a Comment